Here are documents from the Winnemem’s correspondence with the Forest Service from the past five years, as we’ve tried to secure a mandatory river closure for our Coming of Age Ceremony. Despite the fact the agency has the authority and ability to close this small stretch of water, it will commit only to a voluntary closure, which many people have ignored in previous years.
2011 Bałas Chonas
- August 18, 2010, letter from EJCW on behalf of the Winnemem Wintu to Sharon Heywood, Forest Service.
- March 2, 2011, response from Heywood (after receiving a follow-up email from EJCW re: the Aug. 18 letter)
- May 9, 2011, EJCW letter to Heywood after a meeting with the Winnemem
- Heywood’s Response
The 2010 Bałas Chonas
- ECJW Policy Director Debbie Davis’s letter to Sharon Heywood, May 17, 2010
- The Forest Service’s response
The 2006 Bałas Chonas
Read a letter of support from 12 organizations , including the Sierra Club and the Natural Resources Defense Council, urging the Forest Service to honor the Winnemem’s right to practice their religion in peace and privacy.